After being decommissioned Spanish Fort was sold to a private investor who used the property for a lakefront resort and
amusement area. It passed through several owners before closing in 1926 to make way for the lakefront land reclamation which
left it offshore. The resort was touted as “The Coney Island of the South”. This drawing of the
fort shows the structure’s proximity to Bayou St. John (which actually runs north to south).