Metairie (Images of America)

Metairie High School - 1929


Metairie High School (1416) as it exited in this 1952 photograph. In 1909 the one-room Metairie Ridge School opened here -- the first school in Metairie. By 1929 increasing enrollment led to the construction of this building which was named Metairie High School but included grades one through twelve. When East Jefferson High opened in 1955 the school was converted to Metairie Junior High under the leadership of Vernon C. Haynes. The building was demolished in 1968 and the current structures were built. Through the years it has been named Metairie Middle School (1969), Vernon C. Haynes Middle School (1974), Vernon C. and Gilda P. Haynes Middle School (1995), Middle School for Advanced Studies (2004), and Haynes Academy for Advanced Studies (2006). Regardless of the name students could enjoy a cold after-school root beer at the Frostop Drive-In across the street or some broasted chicken at the Holiday Drive-In Restaurant (1425 Metairie Road). The shopping strip in the 1500 block included a National grocery store during the 1960s (later Zara’s, now Canseco’s) and a Kopper Kitchen. (Courtesy of the Jefferson Parish Yearly Review.)

From New Orleans to Jefferson & Back
Bucktown, East End, and West End
Old Metairie
Airline Highway
Veteran's Highway & The Causeway
Photo Gallery
Site Map

Contact Catherine Campanella