Metairie (Images of America)

Bruning's Restaurant - 1859


In 1859 Theodore Bruning moved his Carrollton restaurant to Buctown/East End. There were no levees and roads flooded from September to April so Mr. Bruning opened his doors from Easter Sunday until Labor Day of each year. In 1886 Bruning’s moved to the location it remained in until Hurricane Georges badly damaged it in 1998. The restaurant moved to an on-land building next door where Bruning’s served seafood until Hurricane Katrina destroyed the West End/East End area. Bruning's was the third oldest restaurant in New Orleans; only Antoine's and Tujaques pre-dated it. For a time Bruning’s had dancing waitresses and rows of slot machines. During the early 1900s J.C. Bruning owned and operated the White Squadron -- 42 white fishing boats (16 and 18 feet long) which he rented for 50 cents per day. Below is a photograph taken at Bruning’s in 1949. (Courtesy of the Jefferson Parish Yearly Review.)


From New Orleans to Jefferson & Back
Bucktown, East End, and West End
Old Metairie
Airline Highway
Veteran's Highway & The Causeway
Photo Gallery
Site Map

Contact Catherine Campanella