This map detail includes the streets of town of Milneburg which was on the lakeshore before land reclamation projects during
the 1920s and 30s. According to one account, in 1839 the town of Milneburg consisted of a few houses, the Washington and Arch
Hotels, a grocery, two barrooms and a bakery. Of historic interest, in 1923, the New Orleans Rhythm Kings recorded Milenberg
Joys. The band included Paul Mares, George Brunies, Jelly Roll Morton, and Leon Rappolo. “Milenberg” was the common
New Orleans pronunciation for Milneburg. Jelly Roll Morton, although given credit for the composition, claimed only to have
written the introduction.