This map, drawn shortly after the Parish of Jefferson was established in 1825 shows the land that had been taken from
Orleans Parish. First proposed as Tchoupitoulas Parish it was named, instead, to honor Thomas Jefferson for his work in negotiating
the Louisiana Purchase. St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes were also originally contained in Orleans Parish. (Courtesy of
the Louisiana Digital Library).