From the New Orleans Public Library, this ward map clearly shows the boundary between Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish
in 1847. The parish line follows the New Basin Canal (now Pontchartrain Boulevard) and Felicity Street. All land to the left
of the boundary line now belonged to Jefferson Parish even though Metairie had been a part of the parish of Orleans since
the early 1700s. (Courtesy of the New Orleans Public Library).